6. South Carolina
- Population: 4.7 million
- Share of population 65+: 14.7%
- Cost of living: 12% below the U.S. average
- Average income for 65+ households: $39,985
- Average health care costs for a retired couple: Below average at $373,631
- South Carolina's tax rating for retirees: Tax Friendly
If the mild weather and southern charm of the Palmetto State isn't enough of a retirement draw for you, surely the affordability can tempt you. On top of well-below-average living costs, the tax situation goes easy on a fixed income, too. South Carolina doesn't tax Social Security benefits and offers generous exemptions on other types of retirement income. It also does not levy an inheritance or estate tax. Property taxes tend to be very low.
South Carolina also offers ample amounts of golfing, beach bumming and water activities.