If you live in an apartment near Bluffton, SC you can enjoy the Historic Bluffton Arts & Seafood Festival from October 12 - 19, 2014. Celebrating its 10th anniversary, the Historic Bluffton Arts & Seafood Festival returns this Sunday through Oct. 19 and has become more popular than ever.
The festival is a week-long event offering all kinds of activities, showcasing the locally harvested seafood, delicious Low Country cuisine, rich history, culture and art of the area and Southern hospitality.
The highlight of the festival is the Streetfest which includes a juried fine art show featuring over 100 artists from 10 different states displaying and selling their art, delicious food provided by the area's premier restaurants and caterers and great music and entertainment on Saturday, October 18th and Sunday, October 19th.
This year the event was named a top 20 event for October by the Southeast Tourism Society.
Bluffton is an incredibly beautiful part of the country with unbelievable natural resources, a rich history, a great artistic community and great restaurants. It all makes this town the true heart of the Lowcountry, and the festival tries to help showcase that.
While the festival returns signature events of past years —Streetfest, local art exhibits, the Blessing of the Fleet during Sunday’s opening ceremony, daily kayak and boat tours along the May River, kayak and paddleboat races and the 10K and 5K Fun Run — there are some additions this year.
In particular, the festival will put a larger spotlight on Gullah-Geechee culture.
From noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday, chef and cookbook author Sallie Ann Robinson will give a lecture and a cooking demonstration for authentic Gullah recipes at the Fripp-Lowden House at the corner of Calhoun and Bridge streets.
Author Night — 5:30 p.m. Oct. 16 at the Oscar Frazier Park Community Center — will feature local Gullah-Geechee storyteller Louise Cohen, who will sing Gullah traditional songs in that language and share a history of her ancestors’ lifestyle and art.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- Friends of Bluffton Artists invitational artists showcase, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Paddlesport Race at Oyster Factory Park, noon
- Boat parade, Blessing of the Fleet on the May River, 4 p.m.
- Oyster Fest at Bluffton Oyster Factory Park, 5-8 p.m.
- Dinner and Learn at Waddell Mariculture Center, 5:30 p.m.
- Cooking the Gullah Way at the Fripp-Lowden House, noon
- Author Night with Louise Cohen and Patti Callahan Henry at Oscar Frazier Park Community Center, 5:30 p.m.
- Wine tasting event at Corks Wine Co., 14 Promenade Street, 6 p.m.
- 10K Road Race and 5K Fun Run at Oyster Factory Park, 8 a.m.
- Kayak fishing tournament at Bluffton Oyster Company, 8 a.m.
- Children’s fishing tournament at Bluffton Oyster Company, 10 a.m.
- Streetfest, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Iron Chef Challenge in Neptune’s Gallery, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Art in the Park at DuBois Park, 2-5 p.m.
- Rockin’ on the Dock at Bluffton Oyster Company, 6 p.m.
- Streetfest, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Art in the Park, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.