Today is Earth Day. Are you looking for some way to go green in your apartment in Ridgeland, SC? If you want to help out your earth and save money, here are some ways to go green.
- Buy fresh, local food this summer at local markets.
- Have your kids make their friends birthday cards and bring gifts in decorated paper bags or a cool reusable bag.
- Bring your own bags when you shop for groceries.
- Shop at consignment stores and thrift stores.
- Dispose of your hazardous waste properly.
- Buy a share in a community-supported agriculture (CSA) farm to support local, sustainable farming and enjoy fresh veggies weekly.
- Get rid of plastic sandwich bags and get some washable containers or bags.
- Cut down on car trips and run your errands on your bike or on foot.
- Pack cloth napkins instead of paper towels in school lunches.
- Look for an environmental service project you can do, such as removing trash and non-native plants and planting trees in their place.
- Stop buying bottled water. You could save hundreds of dollars by buying metal water bottles for everyone in the family and a personal filter for your kitchen faucet.
- Organize a Halloween costume swap in September. This can be a great service project for a Girl Scout troop.
- Expand your hand-me-down circle. Organize a clothing swap for you or your kids’group of friends. Everyone brings gently used and clean kids’ clothes to your garage and parents can take as many items as they donated. The rest goes to charity. You can also swap toys and books.
If you have other ways of going green, tell us.